Public Utility - Government owned and operated
Est. Population Served: 34,257
NJPDES Permit ID: NJ0024651
Associated Municipalities: Bridgeton City, Deerfield Township, Fairfield Township, Hopewell Township, Shiloh Borough, Upper Deerfield Township
The upgraded Cumberland County Utilities Authority Wastewater Treatment Plant has served as a sewage treatment center for over 100 years. Just before the turn of the century, in 1898, Bridgeton installed a holding tank close to the river at what is now 333 Water Street. Collection pipes were added to serve the growing Atlantic Street residential community nearby. Prior to this time, cesspools had been the only type of sewage treatment in the city. In 1927, Bridgeton built its first secondary treatment plant on the site. This consisted of a small pumping station, a primary settling tank, called an Imhoff Tank and a fixed nozzle trickling filter. Solids collected periodically from the tank were put back on the surrounding farmlands as fertilizer. The system had a capacity of 400,000 gallons per day of waste and serviced the city on the western side of the Cohansey River by gravity flow.
To see your system's financial information, click here